I did not learn outside of the four walls of the classroom. I recall instructors, not teachers, disseminating knowledge in an attempt to fill my ‘empty’ mind with facts they believed were vital. Reflecting on my personal learning experiences, I viewed education as a form of knowledge transmission.

Upon completing a Master of Education and TESL Certificate, I have come to realize that the notion of education and what it can and might do has broadened and I see a need for a holistic approach to teaching and learning. Individuals learn in various ways and teachers need to be cognizant of that. Some learners are creative and others are more analytical. I see the role of an educator as one that incorporates various pedagogical approaches into their teaching so that various learning styles are catered to instead of offering one instructional method. Firstly, I aim to understand how my learners learn and what their learning objectives are.

I facilitate creative learning by incorporating engaging artistic activities into my lessons. I prefer to take my students outdoors to learn from and make meaning of their surroundings and the environment. I recognize that some learners may learn better in groups and pairs. I also understand the importance of independent work. When facilitating learning I take into account that I will be teaching students who are extroverts as well as others who are introverts. Weaving emotional intelligence into lessons is important to me. I use multiple resources such as handouts, powerpoints, recordings, infographics, and videos so that various learners can relate and engage with the topic. At the core of my teaching lie inclusivity and diversity. I celebrate differences and what makes an individual unique. I also rely on commonalities to bridge gaps and build strong relationships in the classroom.

I hope my students will leave my class feeling fulfilled and proud of themselves. I want my students to be better social citizens and confident in their own skin. I want my students to be able to progress in my class without pressure. I want my students to be comfortable and active in the classroom. I want my students to be engaged and find the material relatable and relevant to their lives. I want my students to find the class useful by applying what they learn in their daily lives. I want to motivate my students and inspire them. 

Engagement is extremely important to me so I teach in a fun innovative manner that I feel will engage most of my students. I teach in a respectful manner to build trust and understanding in the classroom. I teach with diverse pedagogical approaches to allow various learning styles to be engaged. I teach with a clear purpose so that students know what is expected and how they can relate it to their daily lives. I teach using technology to build technical skills and keep students engaged. 

I use various activities where the students will be actively participating. For instance, I curated a lesson plan where each student was to speak for 2 minutes. I also create colourful captivating slides so that they will capture my student’s attention. I start each lesson off with a soft question to build a rapport and for everyone to continue getting to know each other. I also use various resources such as videos and memes. I build a friendly and trusting environment within the classroom by being friendly and showing respect. 

I build in assessment channels. I try to find ways for students to produce a product for me within the lesson. In one lesson, I created a quizzes game where I could see the answers and scores and assess understanding. Another time I asked students to write in the class and provide their writing to me. I didn’t use many formal rigid assessment methods.

I can tell that these things are working as the students are engaged. I have implemented tools such as google forms and nearpod that show the students are engaging. I also ask my students for feedback and they have expressed that my lessons are engaging and the slides captivating. I can also tell that the students are learning by the responses they provide in the class and by seeing how many are participating or willing to participate. 

Continuous learning is key. As a teacher, I will continue to grow by striving to do better and by being a lifelong learner. I will grow by learning from my peers, mistakes, and students. I will take more courses, attend conferences, and read more about teaching. I will grow by mentoring others and immersing myself in the teaching profession. The more I grow as an individual, the more I will grow as a teacher. I will grow as a teacher by seeking out new technologies and techniques. I will try to stay on top of teaching trends and innovations.