Teaching Reflection 6: IELTS Grammar – Passive Voice

I was a bit nervous preparing the passive voice lesson. Grammar is not my strong point and I need to work on improving. Although the Grammar course with Hilda has helped a lot, I still find this to be a huge weak point for me. Initially, the sponsor teacher had asked me to list several grammar tips and points into one lesson. I was very overwhelmed and created an entire deck for approximately six grammar points. I knew it was too much material to cover but I also didn’t want to let down the sponsor teacher. I have learned that I have to be more vocal about my concerns and stand up for what I believe is realistic in terms of lesson content. After presenting the material I prepared to the sponsor teacher, we decided to focus only on passive voice. The lesson was well-planned but I did pause sometimes when I was asked a question and I did doubt myself. I was thankful for having the sponsor teacher there to support me and answer questions. I will definitely have a grammar book on hand if I do teach grammar. 

On another note, I find that sometimes, it is difficult to tell if the students are learning and engaged. I find that the same students are participating in class and I wish I had more time and technology to ensure all students are able to participate. I find that some students may just join the MS teams session but they may not physically be present.